Variable Rate Solutions
At Precision Agriculture, we have been leading the application of variable technology throughout Australia since 2010 and are a global leader in grid-based soil mapping for pH. Our customers tell us the whole process is ‘cheap and easy’ to implement. Throughout a decade of soil sampling and variable rate mapping we’ve seen:
- Improved yields, reduced costs and better environmental outcomes for our customers
- Reduced lime costs by up to 60% whilst achieving a target pH rate leading to reduced costs and higher yields
- Reduced phosphorus rates by up to 25% whilst maintaining production targets
- Reductions in Nitrogen application by 50% whilst maintaining production targets
We work in the background to deliver a turn-key variable rate solution. The service includes:
- Soil sampling
- Analysis in an accredited lab
- Delivery of results in a clear format to the farmer
- The creation of variable rate maps
- Delivery of the variable rate prescription maps directly to the spreader/contractor for all types of variable rate controllers
- Our customers can sit back and relax knowing their VR strategy will be scientifically developed and implemented leading to more efficient resource allocation and improved productivity
Variable Rate – Lime
Use your lime dollar smarter to unlock yield potential, avoiding excessive application
Variable rate liming is the most logical entry point to the world of precision agriculture technology for growers with soil acidity issues, not just because soil acidity in itself is a major yield limiting factor, but also because improved pH levels aid the uptake of other nutrients in the soil. Variable rate liming improves farm performance in a combination of ways:
- It increases yield potential by identifying and targeting problem areas
- It informs you how to best allocate your resources within a given budget
- It improves input efficiency through savings
- Allows your fertiliser budget to go much further by specifically targeting areas for application
Request a call back for one of our specialists to discuss variable rate lime strategies suitable for your needs. Your mobile number:
We have a unique ability to streamline any combination of soil pH, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and nitrogen measurements on your property into one process. Using this information, we create variable rate application maps for lime, gypsum, phosphorus, potassium and nitrogen.
A standard blanket rate of fertiliser or lime may excessively apply amendments in areas where it is not required yet under apply in deficient areas. In many situations, the grid mapped sites have required significantly reduced overall fertiliser or lime inputs with an increase in overall yield expected via the targeted application of amendments. I have found it to be a useful tool to reduce the amount of within paddock yield variability which ultimately leads to more profitable outcomes for my clients.
The concepts of precision agriculture have changed the way we manage our farm. The practices we have employed over the last 4 year of consulting with Precision Ag in Ballarat have helped us close the gap between our best and bottom yields. And has also been a contributing factor to lifting our overall water use efficiency, with 2018 achieving our best average yield yet.
We have a high level of confidence in the services Precision Ag provides and have been able to realise increase farm profit from survey work, grid soil sampling and strategic deep nitrogen sampling.
Variable Rate – Gypsum
Target soil sodicity to improve yield potential.
Soil sodicity impacts large areas of Australia’s agricultural land and has a significant impact on yield potential.
Exchangeable Cations (Na, K, Mg, Ca) can be measured simultaneously with soil pH. The Exchangeable Sodium Percentage (ESP) can be used to determine sodicity and design variable rate gypsum applications.
Our research and customer experience has found EM38 and elevation maps, combined with early season NDVI is another useful method for developing soil sampling plans to determine areas of a paddock subject to sodicity.
Variable Rate – Phosphorus
Use variable rate application maps for MAP, DAP and SSP (single super)
A phosphorus audit is a great starting point for using variable rate nutrition in cropping and pasture systems. By matching phosphorus (P) rates to soil measurements, many of our customers have reduced P rates by up to 25 percent without reducing production. Others have maintained their fertiliser budget but redirected some fertiliser from high soil P areas to low soil P areas. This approach can deliver even greater financial benefits than cost savings for P deficient areas.
Our Variable Rate Phosphorus service includes:
- Grid soil Phosphorous mapping (Colwell P, Olsen P, DGT P) of top 10cm of soil;
- Phosphorus Buffering Index measurements;
- Variable rate phosphorus map;
- Prescription files for the spreader/seeder.
You also have the option to integrate yield data with P soil maps to enable the implementation of P prescription maps. Some of our customers run variable rate P through their seeder but many use their spreader to implement variable rate P. Our grid sampling process allows you to add other soil analysis such as soil pH (calc2), Colwell Potassium and Nitrogen.
Variable Rate – Nitrogen
Match nitrogen supply with crop demand to maximize production in a good season.
Our Variable Rate Nitrogen service aims to deliver the optimum rate of nitrogen across your entire paddock, ensuring maximum nitrogen efficiency and potential for maximising yield. We analyse a combination of soil nitrogen level measurements, crop canopy and forecast yield potential to develop a management strategy specific to your farm.
Our Variable Rate Nitrogen service includes:
- Early and mid-season NDVI satellite images (5-20m pixel);
- Targeted deep nitrogen soil testing based on current season NDVI maps and existing management zones; and
- Variable rate nitrogen maps for Urea, UAN, etc.
- For farms with high nutrition demand such as irrigated pastures and horticulture, grid soil nitrate testing is highly effective. Our grid sampling process allows you to add other soil analysis such as Colwell Phosphorus, Colwell Potassium and soil pH (calc2).
Variable Rate – Potassium
Targeted applications on areas deficient in potassium can improve yield potential for both crop and pasture-based farming systems.
To ensure potassium levels are optimised for your farm, we encourage you to run trials to refine the timing of application, potassium products and rates. We can help analyse these trials in order to understand both the yield and economic impact of these applications.
- Our grid sampling process allows you to add other soil analysis such as Colwell Phosphorus, soil pH (calc2) and Nitrogen.
- Our grid sampling process allows you to add further soil analysis, such as Colwell or Olsen Phosphorus, Colwell Potassium and Nitrogen.